Our mission is to support social enterprises achieve lasting impact at scale.
Reducing Social Inequality in the UK
The UK has a very high level of social inequality compared to other developed countries. People living in poverty in the UK are the most socially excluded. Groups most likely to include people living in poverty are: the unemployed and those on low incomes; young people not in employment, education or training; single mothers, and; people from ethnic minority backgrounds. Sumerian Foundation has established a UK Social Inequality facility (the “Facility”) to provide funding and business skills support tailored to the individual needs of early and growth stage social enterprises (both non-profits and for-profits) tackling social inequality. The Facility aims to address a market gap experienced by these social enterprises as they seek to scale-up and access available social investment.
Enhancing Healthcare Provision in Sub-Saharan Africa
A growing number of social enterprises (both non-profits and for-profits) are offering diverse solutions to improve healthcare provision in Africa. Sumerian Foundation established an African Healthcare facility (the “Facility”) that provides both funding and business skills support tailored to the individual needs of early and growth stage social enterprises involved in healthcare provision. The Facility aims to address a market gap experienced by these social enterprises as they seek to scale-up, as well as leverage further funding from donors and foundations.
Sumerian Foundation adopts a business-based approach to working with social enterprises:
- Seeking solutions that can generate impact at scale
- Proactively selecting social enterprises with track record and strong management teams,
- Structuring funding in ways most appropriate to achieving impact at scale
- Providing tailored business support and mentorship through long term partnerships
- Tracking progress against pre-agreed milestones and Key Performance Indicators
Sumerian Foundation harnesses the track record, networks and experience of Sumerian Partners in both selecting social enterprises and providing funding and skills support to these organisations. The key personnel in Sumerian Partners have extensive experience in adopting a business-based approach to helping social enterprises achieve scale and sustainability. This includes structuring funding appropriate to the needs of individual social enterprises, as well as providing a range of skills support including business strategy, financial management and planning, corporate governance.
To be announced shortly
We set KPIs at three levels – Organisation level, Focal Area and Foundation
- We reflect Sustainable Development Goals and Targets
- We work with management to develop the right impact targets
- As part of our support, we define key performance indicators with management and relevant outcome targets
- We report back bi-annually or annually on progress
Sumerian Foundation has a Board of Trustees with significant experience in philanthropy and the scale-up of successful ventures. The Board includes three independent Trustees as well as two Trustees appointed by Sumerian Partners.